Reading is Thinking… What mental activities do I use when I read?
- Reading is social…which means I learn in social situations with others sharing books, talking and questioning.
- Reading is listening….which means I hear my own inner speech to listen to my own thinking and cue in to the sound of the text.
- Reading is seeing…which means I make pictures in my head and imagine the relationships and the physical action.
- Reading is relating…which means I notice there are people in the text to develop a relationship with.
- Reading is connecting….which means I relate to the topic or action from my own life.
- Reading is interpreting…which means I develop hunches and follow them…and they will change as the text moves along.
- Reading is learning all the time…which means I willingly participate in this social activity.