Link

From the book: Great Habits  Great Readers

by Paul Bambrick-Santoyo, Aja Settles, and Julianna Worrell

Core Idea:

“Forming habits is meaningless if they aren’t the right habits.”

Core Idea:

“Students master comprehension as a musician masters a symphony –one stanza at a time.”

Core Idea:

“Independent reading is the scrimmage that prepares students for the “big game” of reading.  That big game happens later —when no one is keeping score.”

Core Idea:

“Students can’t fall in love with reading if they aren’t reading to begin with.”

PEOPLE ASK ALL THE TIME–WHAT ARE LEXILES AND WHAT ARE BENCHMARKS?

HERE’S A REALLY GOOD WAY TO EXPLAIN IT:

Lexiles & Benchmark Levels—How do they compare?

Answer from The Fountas & Pinnell Team:

While there will always be different approaches in determining a texts level of complexity, this comparison assumes there is a direct and reliable relationship between Lexile Levels and Fountas & Pinnell Levels.

Lexile takes one approach by measuring text complexity in a simpler way — sentence length, syllables, and word frequency.

Fountas and Pinnell take another approach. The Fountas & Pinnell Levels are determined by also evaluating concepts, need for background knowledge, and plot. A student might very well be able to decode texts at several levels higher and so, measured without comprehension assessment, it may look like he is meeting standard.

There may be a statistical correlation between Lexile levels and the Fountas & Pinnell Levels on the F&P Text Level Gradient™.

For example, if you run measures on thousands of books and over many levels, there would be a correlation.

We have not performed these analyses ourselves.

The lower Fountas & Pinnell Levels, in general, would have lower Lexile scores. The higher Fountas & Pinnell Levels generally would have higher scores. But this kind of correlation is not the same as a precise matching of levels, for example, a Lexile range of numbers corresponds to a specific A to Z level in a reliable way. The two systems are based on some of the same text factors, but not all.

Metametrics uses a mathematical formula, which they can explain.

The Fountas & Pinnell Levels are based on the ten text characteristics named in several of Fountas and Pinnell’s books. A group of raters reach reliability after independent analysis.

We cannot say with high prediction that a given book with a certain Lexile score will fall into a category on the F&P Text Level Gradient™. Every time we have looked at Lexile levels for texts that seem highly reliable on our scale, we have found a number of “outliers.”

The Fountas & Pinnell Team

FP_TextLevelGradient

Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 1.30.47 PM

2 thoughts on “Read2Succeed

1. Maya Becker

Dear Mrs. Lutz,
    I’m really liking my book “the sea of monsters” it’s the second book In the “Percy Jackson and the Olympians” series. I started to read this book on the beach because you said that was your favorite place to read! It was very peaceful and nice! I went late at night with my family to watch the sun set! I brought a flash light with me and I read the book! I loved it! Now where ever I go I bring my book to read!
    Im half way done with the book! I love how Rick Riordan the author writes all these book! The book started with Percy have a dream! It was very different. Rick Riordan started the whole book with “my nightmare started like this!” I love how he started the book! He definitely made me want to fine out more about Percy’s nightmare! The book “the sea of monsters” made me just want to keep reading and never stop.
    -sincerely
    Maya Becker💞
    7th grader
    P.S- how’s your summer going? Having fun?

Reply
    1. Read2succeed Post author

Nice Job Maya! I know how much you love books, and I think you are doing a great job reading the Percy Jackson series! The beach is my favorite place to read!
      I read some great books too, and I can’t wait to share them with you when we get back to school!

Reply